Pearls; Wole Soyinka style.

My writing grows more and more pre-occupied with the theme of the oppressive boot, the irrelevance of the colour of the foot that wears it, and the struggle for individuality. I went to government school Ibadan, after that I spent a couple of years in the University College Ibadan. I think that my prime duty as a playwright is to provide excellent theatre. One of the most humbling discoveries any African can make is just the fact that he can actually interpret the greed and, you know, the general evil of -what you call the European world in the faces of his own personal and intimate companions. I found that the Trials of Brother Jero and The Lion and The Jewel were in fact quite frankly, like most comedy in the theatre, the most difficult things to write. I think why Telephone Conversation - which seems to be the favourite of anthologies, quotations everywhere- which is why it appeals to most people is that it really implies, it has the undercurrent of very strong feeling, but one which overcomes this and tries to see the humorous side of it. When I write, I write in the absolute confidence that it must have an audience; but production is a different thing. I will adapt, I will alter my play in production for that particular audience I am working for. I have to take this into consideration. You will find that where there has been any constructive and realistic resistance (
against dictatorship) it has come from the younger generation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A UGANDAN CLASSIC by TIMOTHY WANGUSA.

letter from a contract worker - Antonio Jacinto

Ticket Information for THE STORY MOJA FESTIVAL